a pocket full of rhinestones

Friday, January 07, 2005

Teaching.

So I taught my first ever discussion section today. I think it went pretty well, but there were a few minor snags that I should note - since I am tired and about to hit the sauce... I will make it as brief as possible.

1. I accidentally insulted a student.
2. They hated my interpretation and thought it was untenable.
3. I believe that they think I am a moron.
4. I have no idea what we talked about or if it made any sense whatsoever.

On the good side...

1. they talked ALL HOUR!
2. they talked to one another and not just to me (there was, like, a real discussion)
3. People laughed at my jokes.
4. They smiled.
5. I let them go home early.
6. Someone who was being annoying apologized for his annoyingness after class!
7. Someone came up after class and said that she secretly agreed with my interpretation all along.

Thus, good outnumbered bad almost 2 to 1 and I am happy. Thanks to Steph for calming me down afterwards and offering helpful advice. Thanks to Amber who so graciously hosted me in her apartment the evening before after we abandoned the Evanston bar scene (oh so sad) for the exotic banana-vanilla rum in her cupboard.
Ah winter quarter - you will be survived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home