a pocket full of rhinestones

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Guess what, interested readers (or at least amused friends)?

I am an Idiot Savant!

This was told to me by none other than Professor X, right in the middle of our class today (as he giggled and then pantomimed putting his hand over his mouth as if to signify "oh, with the exception of you Katie" smirking wildly).

This all came from a rather long, dry, and uninteresting lecture where I became a case study for the entire class as a maven. A maven, from "The Tipping Point" is someone who collects things, or collects knowledge about things obsessively and has this strange compulsion to share it with people. You say, "hah, I do that everyday!" but you are probably not a maven unless, like me, you make little excel spreadsheets of your costume jewelry collection including date of purchase, price, maker, description, condition and overall quality. THAT is a maven. My class, upon my mentioning that I might be one of these people, suddenly became quite fascinated with me as if I were some kind of rare bird or exotic plant to study. This lead to a discussion of mavens and their habits (as well as a bunch of other stuff from our discussion of this book) and PLOP right in the middle of discussion Prof X. blurts out, "so these mavens, these idiot savants..." Ahhhh... the joys of academia.

Not only this, but someone pointed at me in the middle of discussion and said - "I don't know about the rest of you, but that is STRANGE" implying that I was, again, very odd.

Not that I really mind that so much - I don't mind being odd. Although I DO mind being called an Idiot and being talked down to by Prof X. especially in the bit where he "explained" to us "english students" (read "intellectually challenged") that "police" could be both a physical and metaphorical concept.

Really? Fuck? Amazing! I must have missed that over here in the English department where we all sit around AND TALK ABOUT THE METAPHORICAL MEANINGS OF WORDS ALL DAY LONG.

He apparently thinks we're all idiots.

AND he scowls. I can't wait for the end of the quarter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home