a pocket full of rhinestones

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Two topics this evening -

(1) My paper for gothic (for those of you that are interested) is going along swimmingly (although the paper for my other class may be going down for the third time and require the aid of some steroid-enhanced lifeguards). I have an outline and still have all day tomorrow to work on it some more. I think that this deserves a little bit of cake leftover from yesterday as a reward!

(2) (and more interesting) I have mentioned to some of my colleagues that my Prof. winked at me the other day in class.

Now I am desperately hoping - for my own personal sanity and to keep the world as I know it from spinning off of its all-too-delicate orbit into the blackness of strange freakyness - that he had something in his eye. But upon observing this moment of winkage, I think that there is a distinct possibility that this was not in fact the case. This leads me to several broad and unseemly conclusions - all of which are totally inappropriate for the classroom (and planet earth in general). And thus, you will all be subjected to my analysis of possible winks and winkage-related incidents.

That is:

There are several different types of winks for which this wink could have been winked. (whew, try to say that line three times fast)

(1) it could have been the "knowing wink": this is probably one of the more benign options, and seems to fit with the situation quite well. An annoying girl was rambling on and on about something that was utterly uninteresting and in the middle of her discussion he looked at me and the moment of winking occurred. This wink, however, is a dangerous and rather depressing wink because it says " I know that what she's saying is stupid, and I know that you know it too ". Now I am of the opinion that this kind of conversation (even when it occurs solely through eye gestures) is totally inappropriate by any teacher in any classroom.

(2) It could have been the "come hither" wink. I reject this out of hand because uh... ewww. And also because there is someone else he has a hankerin' for and it ain't me. Although I was sitting in her seat and she was absent that day... AAAAhhhh.... must...wash...out...mind...with...soap!

(3) The errr... um... well - these are the only options I can think of besides the "Arrrgh, an invisible gnat just flew into my eye" wink.

Thus, I beg of you - help me to find some kind of benign wink-related explanation for the offensive and offending wink; if only to let me sleep at night knowing that I wasn't brutally winked at in the middle of discussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home