a pocket full of rhinestones

Sunday, February 29, 2004

Well, I'm back.

Back from a holiday of joy and light - er... I mean work, lots of work, and studying.... in Madison.

And for the first time in my life, I was too tired to go to BW3 and get chicken wings and drink on a Saturday night.

Now, I don't know how many of you are familiar with the glowing Winged Buffalo sign that hangs above the BW3 on State Street, but frankly, it's like a little lighthouse beacon of sweet-barbecue goodness calling me to pull my weary bones to shore and partake of the fruits of the land (being pina-coladas, captain-n-cokes, sex on the beaches, and BBQ chicken wings with dipping sauce). There is no better way to end a night of hearty Madison-style drinking (and remember, we can drink like no one else) than sitting down in the basement, shooting darts while drunk, answering trivia questions wrong and greasing your esophagus with sweet sweet BBQ.

Alas, about 9:30, after studying for 8 hours (read: studying for 4 hours, distracting my boyfriend, playing with the chalkboard, and watching 45 min of LOTR II) I just fell asleep on the floor, blissfully oblivious to both the horrors of "Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple" (the text upon which my face was resting) and the noise of the apparent 10 person coordinated tap-dancing / chair scraping / basketball bouncing / orgy of trashy music that is my boyfriend's upstairs neighbor. I am told that I was "too peaceful" to wake, and when I finally did return to the land of consciousness it was far too late to start the 3 mile trek to the bars.

A pity. This was, however, a good book-buying weekend for me. I got a particularly interesting copy of Poe's essays; as well as a boxed copy of "Arthur Gordon Pym" which, although not rare, is amusing if only for the pictures. I picked up some fun Dracula comic books, and this little tiny book [1800's?] The Mermaid Series of Thomas Dekker [ a writer from the late 1500's] with such charming plays as "The Honest Whore", "The Honest Whore part II", and "The Witch of Edmonton". It also, I might add, has a naked golden mermaid embossed on the cover, which is always a sign of a good book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home