a pocket full of rhinestones

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Salsa, Guacamole, Bacardi O, Chips, and ... Corn Pudding? Oh yes.

Today has been a day of food, of delight, of attempting to create salsa from a recipe downloaded in a thunderstorm on the hunch that it might be very similar to the salsa I love. Now I know that you'll all probably roll your eyes and sigh when I tell you that it is the incredibly delicious, slightly malicious, Chili's salsa (modified for my personal KT enjoyment).

There was laughter, there were tears (onions), and there was my inexplicable inability to tell the difference between TSP and TBSP ahhhhh cooking.

I was over at the ever-entertaining Jett's last night for dinner. Again - I am sure that I have repeated this over and over, but he is a stunning cook (which served to inspire my culinary adventure this morning (more about this later). We laughed, we smoked, he read poetry, I read tarot, and we drank. Noelle, thank you for the charming Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais-Villages, it was fantastic. Other than that I experienced the mind expanding qualities of Bacardi O with Coke and lime (tasty!). Riding home on the L and surreptitiously taking sips from my pimp-esque hip flask of the charming beverage, I made a bleary-eyed resolution to do something interesting this week. This looks like a good start.

Jett, I can't even perform that drunk test sober (standing on one foot, head back, eyes closed, and touching alternate index figertips to one's nose). Does this say something about my sense of balance or the difficulty of the test?

So this morning (after waking up at a deliciously late 11:45am) I scampered over to the local Jewel and attempted to remember all of the things that I needed for my salsa. And I got it totally wrong, oooh and I forgot the cilantro (which I drove all the way back to get before looking at the recipe only to find out that I didn't need it at all). Not to be daunted, I concocted substitutes for almost everything in the recipe. My old metal Osterizer was bullied into service as a high-speed food processor, my kitchen is covered in a fine layer of tomato, my eyes are watering, and I am totally happy.

Because, despite all of this, it is DELICIOUS... exactly what I wanted. Now on to the guacamole!

Tonight's agenda:

Watching: "Army of Darkness" and "Dead Alive" or possibly "Hamlet" (Kenneth, not Mel)
Cooking: Corn Pudding? Tacos? Guacamole? Les haricots verts?
Drinking: Lambrusco Rinuite
Painting: My fingernails
Playing: Morrowind:Tribunal and Bloodmoon (Oh am I going to kick some Black Dart Gang ass tonight!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home