a pocket full of rhinestones

Friday, June 11, 2004

So this week.

I know, I know, the postings have been totally scattershot this past week or so, but I have been all over the place. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and this morning I was in Madison - spending some quality time with the boyfriend and trying to finish up this last paper (at last it is almost done. Appendix tomorrow morning and 2 references to check and then I'm done! - it will be gone by tomorrow afternoon).

So this morning I get up at 4:45 am with the boyfriend so that he can pre-round on his patients before 6 - which means that I was on the road for Chicagoland at 5:45am. This, sadly, means that I achieved the Kennedy Expressway at approx. 8:30am. Oh so bad. A drive that is normally 3 hours became something like 4.5. Bleah. Got to Hyde Park, switched my summer registration from Latin to German (Yay less work!), finished up my paper, watched LOTR III with Kerri, went to the grad party, gave a piggyback ride to the charming daughter of a fellow grad student, got shunned, and finished LOTR III up at Kerri's post-party.

So it's 12:30 pm and I just walked in the door of my apartment for the first time since, er... Monday morning.

I lead an extremely nomadic life. If only I got the exercise that my car gets - I would be a supermodel by now. Sadly, there is no possibility that this will change in the near future - so I just pack a bag, keep 3 kinds of jacket in my trunk, bring everything I need for an overnight stay with me everywhere and experience being "the wind". It's a good thing that I'm not too high maintenance, or I would have a much bigger backpack (“haha, impossible”, you say – well “pbtttt” just wait until I break out the metal-frame backpack – then you’ll be… um… well mostly I’ll be sorry (My back! My back!).

Speaking of injuries, I was attempting to carry upstairs a metal library paperback rack that I got at a book sale (yes, I am the only person on earth who can go to a BOOK sale and come home with FURNITURE), and it caused some severe damage to my thighs and arms – I look as though I have been beaten with a stick. So now I’m trying to think up really interesting things to say to people when they ask what happened. I’m thinking about muttering something about “ferret stampede” but that seems too implausible – any suggestions would be appreciated. The rack, however is cool – perhaps it would be more cool if it had the little metal thingy that makes it spin, but 30 min. with a saws-all and it is no longer a paperback rack and is instead more of an all-purpose bookrack.

Noelle was kind enough to give me a bottle of wine (Beaujolais!) for random computer aid, so I am thinking that this will play an integral role in my weekend plans.

In rereading, I have decided that this post is clearly disjoint and pointless – and yet I will post it anyway. This probably has something to do with my exhibitionism or perhaps the fact that I feel everything I write deserves a home somewhere – or perhaps it is because I am way too tired to try and create coherence out of the chaos. If you like, you can cut out the sections, number them, and create some kind of “guess what Katie’s thinking game”.

Er… actually, that would be really lame, don’t do that.

I need to go to bed. Night all.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home