a pocket full of rhinestones

Thursday, June 03, 2004

The politics of detachment: My office in the Ivory Tower with the rose-colored window.

I have recently become a fan of the Caribou Coffee. Never been much of a drinker of coffee before (too bitter), but I find that with 4 packets of Equal and about 1/4 cup of skim it's actually quite good. And potent. This stuff has all the kick of a frightened ostrich (it could, metaphorically speaking, put your kidneys on the barn wall). In any case, they also have a leather couch with the texture of butter and a bevy of cute beverage assistants? clerks? espressoliers? coffee stewards? coffeetenders? In any case, it has become my home-away-from-apartment-away-from-home for the past week or so.

Today, while working, a little sprite of a girl peered over the back of a leather armchair opposite me.

"Whatcha’ doin’?"
"Writing a paper"
"On what?"
- My brain races... What is it about? It is something like Coverdale's folklorization [made up word] of characters in The Blithedale Romance as a way to obfuscate their historical situation using a degraded genre of "magical explanation" such that he can evade questions of class and gender by nonpresence while authoring a text that (through its participation in the normative genre of folklore) allows him to assert his presence-as-author in the language of the general people (thus authoring a folktale that evades the non-authorial genre of folktales).... shit... "It's about fairies."
"Oh" *big grin* "I like fairies."
"Me too."

I sit there with a funny grin on my face - It has just been clearly pointed out to me that what I am doing is really really pointless.

I sit back in my chair - I am the only person who cares about this, and I am really actually excited about it.

I look at the ceiling - So what kind of good is this doing for the world?

I study a particularly interesting knothole - Am I willing to be this detached? This utterly insulated from everyday life?

I look over to the newsstand.

I glance at the headline.

Wow.

Yes. Maybe it's better to live in this world of fairies, witches, devils, ghosts and metaphor. I think I've had enough of real people and what they do to one another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home