a pocket full of rhinestones

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Chai Rock.

Today was all paper. I have gotten to that stage where I think that my argument is shit and can see all the flaws. This is wonderful. This means I can fix the flaws. This stage is stage #, like, 12 in my paper-writing er... stages. It is immediately after stage #11 where I think that I know what I'm talking about but the whole idea is really nebulous and kinda not under my control. #13 (where I pray to get this week) is: it's been patched up so that I am not ashamed to show it around and now needs some serious stylistic editing.

It also needs a bit of a trim - 33 pages, Yipes! Fortunately for me, there is a lot of bullshit that can be removed. Unfortunately this means I have to wade in and do some hardcore shit shoveling. Bleah.

Today was also a day of coffeehouse madness. Allyson called me up after having decided that she was at the "coffeehouse stage" of writing (apparently her stages work differently from mine - I hope, for her sake, that she has an ice cream shop stage, or perhaps a dance club stage). So off we went - first to my favorite coffeehouse (which I shamelessly stole from Anne), and secondly to her coffeehouse (which she shamelessly stole from no one). There was cheese, there was chai, there were smoothies, there were couches, there was a mild electric shock - in all, both a productive and delicious experience.

Which leads me to another totally random conclusion - I need my own coffeehouse. I think that it is some kind of grad-student requirement that in a city as big as Chicago everyone have their own place. Clearly, as coffeehouse-having goes I am as a bum on the street corner, begging for a latte and wishing that I had a home of my very own. I am a fussy girl - not any old coffeehouse for me. It must be a cross between the elegant and the laid-back: big tables and couches are key. Hand chalked menus on the wall are a good sign, good sandwiches are a must - good soup is a bonus and good chai is absolutely necessary. I like hip and funky with an elegant flair - and no techno music (although 80's hits are welcome).


I picture it as a personals ad: - Struggling grad student seeks coffeehouse. I'm funky, you're hip - together we're elegant. Strong black mocha a must - lots of sugar. I like to spread out across big tables or on a couch. Maybe dinner? Maybe more? If interested mail me a flyer, and I can come over and get to know you better.


Obviously too much time has been spent studying. I would also like to point out the fact that it is a travesty that I not only have to go to class tomorrow (isn't it a national holiday? Yep, but not for the U of C) but I have to come in early for an EXTRA SESSION at 8:00 in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home