a pocket full of rhinestones

Thursday, March 04, 2004

Becky, forgive me. You were correct, and I am an incredible idiot.

Becky - as I have been promising to post - is one of the few friends that I have left outside of Chicago. Very cool - likes chunky jewelry and has a fascination with screen-printed plates that I cannot comprehend, and which is yet oddly cool and indescribably funkalicious. She has a real job, unlike us graduate students, and is the voice of sanity and reason in my otherwise academically ingrown life. My particular favorites are when she calls me up and tells me that I am working too hard, talking life too seriously, and need to go drink. Everyone needs friends like this - they are the little drop of crazy glue that keeps all your mental faculties together. Of course - I do the same, telling her that she needs to leave work sometime before 3am and dragging her against her will to the tortilla-chip bliss that is Chili’s [why the apostrophe? I do not know].

We've been through hell and back together, and I wouldn't trade her even for a particularly shiny Swarovski rhinestone tiara (and that is saying a LOT, dear readers, if you know anything about my predilection for shiny objects and costume jewelry).

With this in mind - I dedicate yet another cocktail in honor of the friendship of Becky [knowing full well that since her and my tastes differ on almost everything, I will love it and she will hate it or vise-versa]:

Pink Lady: (this needs explanation, as Becky is NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TO BE UNDERSTOOD AS A GIRLY GIRL - despite her rather large collection of handbags and propensity to buy pink things)

caster (superfine) sugar, for frosting
1 1/2 measures Plymouth gin
1/2 measure grenadine, plus extra for frosting
1/2 measure double (heavy) cream
1/4 measure lemon juice
1 measure egg white.

"Dip the rim of the champagne saucer into grenadine and then into caster sugar to create a bright pink, frosted rim. Shake the cocktail ingredients with ice and strain into the prepared glass. Garnish with a cherry"

Despite the egg white (or without it altogether) I am sure that this creamy pink delight would match perfectly with the bag with the big pink B on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home