a pocket full of rhinestones

Monday, March 15, 2004

The tiny creamers!

Anne took me today to one of the happiest places in Chicago. Why? "By Fiat!" I retort, stamping my foot.

We went to Julius Meinl: and I had some tea that I swear was hand-blended by the archangels and steeped in the golden chalice of life, i.e. it was quite tasty. For some reason (my aforementioned inability to remember names of any kind) I can't remember the name of the tea - it was a word that started with H and then toffee. I definitely remember toffee. In any case, I shall have to return and buy some. I balked at the idea in the store - $7.95 for 4oz of tea! But later found out that this makes about 35 cups. Alas - should have gone with my gut instinct on this one.

The most delightful part (according to the whimsical self that I am) is the tiny carafe of creamer that they give you with your tea. It couldn't be more than an inch high, full of thick creamer and utterly delicious. It's like actually having tea instead of having some processed biodegradable waxed cardboard cup shoved at you across a counter by a disturbingly handsome 17 year old in a Starbucks T-shirt. Julius Meinl, I salute you - if only for saving tea from this bitter and unholy end.

And I bought a picture of a bandit, a scallywag - climbing down some knotted sheets out of a window. This is one of the more charming engravings I have - if only because he has striped pants. Definitely a pirate - perhaps it's the goatee that makes this picture so charming. In any case he looks as though he's about to jump off the rope, rescue some damsel, and sail away on his pirate ship to a deserted isle. Wow, apparently my imagination is working overtime today - Of course - the choice was between this engraving and one of an angry chained priest in a cell looking particularly malevolent as he commands someone to leave. Although I do have a soft spot in my heart for frightening clergy, this one lost only because the priest oddly reminded me of Rasputin and it would be impossible to explain to my friends why I found this piece so enchanting (er - it's his, um - fiery eyes, and er- the hay, and he's um... just really scary). Not a good conversation starter - more of a conversation stopper (and an odd look generator). If people are going to look at me funny, I would prefer that they do it for my bandit (who is now hanging above my bed).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home