a pocket full of rhinestones

Monday, April 05, 2004

More Prospies!

Ok, just one, but it was an interesting day.

I started out with the intention of having lunch and showing around a prospective student in the afternoon today (interestingly AFTER I found out that there are apparently 200 more pages of reading that I simply missed on my syllabus for this week. Ak.). This lunch, however, turned into meeting in the afternoon and driving up to the northside for tea and dinner at Potbelly (mmmmm toasted meaty cheesy goodness). In any case, fun was had by all when we met up with Stephanie and Carl to chat about classes and the program and such. Well - fun was had by all except perhaps poor Emily (the prospective student), who was vaguely jet-lagged, prospie-day-dazed, overdosed on caffeine, and generally carsick. She was charming nonetheless, and in the midst of her feeling especially uncomfortable still had the impulse to comment on the relative beauty of Lake Michigan and the full (uncommonly large) yellow moon. Personally, I find this very impressive. If I could be that reflective when I didn't feel well, grad school would be a breeze:

"I'm overtired and underfed and yet I can do an intricate close reading of this obscure passage of poetry and capture its essence of beauty. Hand me the Tylenol, would you?"

In any case, not only did I get a delicious (department reimbursed) sandwich, the ability to eat lunch with Anne (always entertaining), and a chance to meet a cool person I may never see again - I got more tea! Vanilla bourbon will be my flavor of choice for the week.

Bourbon, yes - this is surely a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home