a pocket full of rhinestones

Saturday, May 15, 2004

Sumthin good.

Dim Sum today - my GOD. The things that I have been missing here in Chicago continue to astound me. Jett and Kerri were kind enough to steer me towards a huge red building, up the stairs, and place food on my plate (often with the words "try it, you'll like it"). They are fantastic for doing this, as I have now achieved food transcendence and must leave the mortal plain to commune with the gods of shrimp dumplings. You will see the halo around my head as I walk amongst you - for I am now one of Those Enlightened by Dim Sum Goodness.

And LO! I said that is was good - and by golly, it was gooood.

We had these shrimp things and these pork things, and these shrimp things with rice and these pork things with rice, and these egg things with pork and these egg things with custard and this tea - obviously, I have no idea what I ate - but I have been told that there were no chicken feet involved. My stomach, however, does not care for nomenclature; it is merely singing odes to the Dim Sum gods.

We also took in the kitschy and not-so-kitschy parts of Chinatown, perused a Chinese grocery store (where one with an adventurous palate can buy an entire dried octopus), sampled the glories of dried mint plums (seriously good), and in general laughed, ate, and had a rollicking good time. Be warned about the bubble tea: there’s really nothing quite like sucking a huge bolus of black tapioca up an impossibly large straw to put one off after lunch.

I also, for the first time in my life, rode on the L-train.
Now I know you're all: "WHAT?!"
and I'm like: "SO?!"
and you're like: "THAT'S FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE?!"
and I'm like: "LIKE, RIGHT, YEAH?"

enough of that
- so yes, I have avoided riding the trains - but I will have to take them more often because it's like a ride at Disney World. There's this little voice that tells you where to get on and off, there's shiny metal cars riding on impossibly confusing tracks, there's the chance of being killed by your fellow passengers - and the downtown stations on the red line SERIOUSLY look like the ones out of The Matrix. All of this amuses me to no end. If they could only get the cars to go a little faster and install blacklights, this would be an awesome ride. I have visions of "Non Party" and "Party" trains, on which one sells alcohol and there is pole-dancing. Clearly the allergy medicine is getting to my brain.


In any case: Dim Sum $16, Rock sugar $1.50, Train ride $3.50, Getting to go to Chinatown with two cool people - Priceless.

There are some things that money can't buy - for everything else, there’s student loans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home