a pocket full of rhinestones

Thursday, May 27, 2004

So, the workshop results: 'Don't quit your day job'

Apparently my style of comic is the equivalent of the harlequin romance novel. Good looking girls and a fantasy plot = fluff. Basically I wish I hadn't gone. There was one point at which someone said something about my comic that actually made everyone else in the room make that "oooh" noise of sucking in breath because it was so inappropriately rude.

Spiegelman was not rude. He was very nice, very polite, and he gave me some good ideas about what to do with the apparently hopeless form that I have chosen for my comic.

I am about to do something that I never do: namely say something bad about someone using their actual name in my blog. If this is something of which you do not approve (and I can't really say I approve of it either, but I'm pissed) please skip this part and look for the next bold statement.

Note to: Tania Valerie Schrag (yes I use your real name). It is very rude to COLOR IN someone else's comic with HOT PINK MAGIC MARKER while ridiculing their work and then GIVE THAT COLORED COPY BACK TO THEM. I did not photocopy my art to be your coloring book (just a hint).

To use a metaphor, if my ego is a robin's egg, today its fragile blue shell was cracked open by an 8 year old and spread across the sidewalk so that he could see if it would fry in the sun.

Tonight I will be drinking. Didn't feel like going to the lecture. I hope, whoever is reading this (with the exception of Tania Valerie Schrag) that you had a better day than I did.

End of bitter rant.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home