a pocket full of rhinestones

Thursday, January 20, 2005

I just finished grading papers.

I would go into the subjectiveness of grading, but my students might come upon this blog and I don't want to deal with the fallout.

I am currently in my bathrobe and jammies, wrapped in a duckie blanket and doing a little foot dance.

I often wondered what my professors wore / did while grading my papers - so for those of you interested, I procrastinated by:

Making tea
Making bread
Singing in the shower
Falling asleep
Jumping on my sofa
Jumping on my bed
Running around in circles in my living room
Doing a headstand (that turned out rather poorly - I should check the wall for nails first)
Making beef stew
Making salmon salad
Painting my toenails
Surfing on Ebay
Sewing a quilt
Blogging
Designing a little sheet on excel to house my students' names and grades
etc.

I have decided that paper grading leads to cooking as an inevitable consequence. I haven't cooked so much in a week since, ever. Everyone I know is welcome to come share in my culinary excesses - just let me know first so I can clean my whipping-worthy apartment of shame. It has sprouted what I like to call "work centers" but what are actually "projects I haven't bothered to clean up." These tend to dominate all surfaces of the apartment and are usually composed of paper, fabric, and sharp things with handles.

Now all I have to do is think up something interesting to say about "Gorilla, My Love," which frankly, I don't understand at all. I have to teach this to a room full of anxious students who just really want to know how they did on their paper (which I have now graded but have to give to Veeder for a 2nd grade). Maybe I'll pull a "what did you think?" or "how do the names the main character adopts change / mitigate / instantiate her personality?"

Maybe if I use a lot of jargon they won't notice.

I would work on this tonight, but really, I'm tired out and need to relax. I think I'll read Last of the Mohicans (orals), which Berlant calls "Last of the Moes" for which I will always love her .

Ooooh - stew's ready!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home