a pocket full of rhinestones

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Peanut Butter and Jelly.

I think that this delighful food has been woefully ignored by the elite culinary world for too long.

maybe I have been watching too much Iron Chef.

I was in Trader Joe's the other day and found a jar of cashew butter. Failing to buy it, and then kicking myself for having failed to buy it; I went home to seek what little solace I could find in the humble creamy Jif. Being health-conscious (although what level of consciousness remains to be determined), I had bought the reduced-fat variety one day at the store. I also had some sugar-free strawberry jam and potato bread from my breadmaker.

I have resolutely avoided the PB&J since childhood when my father (believing it to be the world's most perfect food) made us sandwiches for any meal of which he was in charge.

Somehow, however, this particular sandwich was really good. Really really good. I started thinking about how shocking it would be to go to a chef and say "I want crushed exotic nuts creamed with sugar and spread over freshly baked bread- served with sweetened crushed vine-ripened fruit." THAT sounds exquisite. In fact, the PB&J is downright decadent.

Clearly I am killing time. You see - I talk to the boyfriend at 9, and it is currently 7:30, which means that I only have 1.5 hours before I go run on the treadmill. This is not enough time to do really anything except perhaps blog and fool around on the internet. I'm feeling way way too lazy for a craft project, and I have nowhere to dry cashmere. I don't want to read, can't sleep, and I'm not hungry. I just took a shower, and it's Sunday so everything is closed.

You know what I'm talking about right? One of THOSE evenings - where you are bored and restless.

So perhaps I'll plan my week:

Orals: Last of the Mohicans, Kant (really, this week I'll actually do it), Edgar Huntly or Elizabeth Stuart Phelps, and probably Lefanu or Poe or someone easy.

Teaching: Read Carver and whatever I'm supposed to teach on Friday (oh I am such a slacker) - grade papers

Office hours: tomorrow, which will either be swamped or deserted depending (as there is a paper due that day).

Social: Nothin' yet.

Crafts: Work on the throw, start on Theoden crown for Brian, and storyboards - yes - storyboards.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home