a pocket full of rhinestones

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Oh Insanity...

Well, we all remeber my former post where I indicated that in the near future I would somehow be able to return to a normal schedule.

This has apparently turned out to be some kind of evil fairy-tale dream sprung on my while I was sleeping by the gnomes living in my duvet (possibly in combination with the 5 or 6 Cingular demons infesting my phone and preventing me from getting my voicemail).

You see, the boy has moved from the 7 to 7 ER schedule to the (supposedly) much more sane Neurology schedule. This has turned out, however, due to a senior resident of dubious quality into an insane 7 to 10 schedule. This leaves me with:

Housework,
Shopping,
Cooking,
A grumpy boy,
And a nervous facial tic.

Supposedly all of this will resolve itself into Phsyhiatry goodness sometime around Feb. Let's all cross our fingers and clap so that this little tinkerbell of hope can fly (I understand that crossing fingers and clapping at the same time will be difficult, but isn't my sanity worth the effort?)

Anyway. With me things are pretty much clicking along.

Dissertation is in the MY GOD I HAVE A LOT OF THINGS TO READ stage, punctuated by moments of HEY THAT'S A PRETTY GOOD IDEA and OOPS, SOMEONE ALREADY DID THAT.

Thus, it is going as expected at the start. I have a bit of an idea about the Ugly, and if you really really want to know about it, you'll have to talk to me in person because I have the vague fear that if I type it out it may evaporate into a kind of strange circularity (i.e. gradualogophobia)

I am spending a lot of time chez moi and at Pause (just off the Berwyn stop), which I believe that I am supporting solely on my Latte purchases and blueberry scone fetish. Metropolis (Granville station) has better coffee (they roast it there), but Pause has a better atmosphere (think leather chairs and stained glass windows) and free wireless that ALWAYS works (although the AC never works). They serve Intellegensia coffee, which isn't bad at all, and some of the baristas are really cool (and let me sit around for hours and hours and hours).

So I highly recommend both Pause and Metropolis for the studying undercaffinated grad student.

I am apparently interning for Readings in World Lit this fall, and doing the preceptor gig for those undergrads who feel the need to write a thesis.

Also I have been in super-project-refinishing-furniture-mode, which has resulted in:

a fully refinished antique typewriting desk
a finished and stained clothing rack
a partially finished coffee table
and about 15 other random projects of the KT sort.

Next up is the jewelry cabinet. Currently: Ugly as sin and denty, Soon to be: Swanky.

I have been spending quality time with people who have the tendency to wander past the hermit hole in which I have been hiding. But this must change... soon, very soon classes will begin and normal hanging-out schedule will resume.

no, really.

Other than that, er.... Butter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home