a pocket full of rhinestones

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Antiquing!

Today was a very big driving day. Evanston to Hyde Park to Kenosha to Racine to Evanston to Hyde Park to Evanston. Whew. This, however, was totally worth it, as today was a day of antiques, donuts, and Olive Garden (mmmmm breadsticks) punctuated by moments of wry humor, silly singing and thrift-store shopping. It is Kerri's Birthday today, and so I decided to take her up to Kenosha and Racine for an antiquing adventure. The awesome store in Kenosha was sadly closed, and despite my impotent banging on the door and cries to the gods, remained closed all afternoon (I must be losing my touch - I used to be able to call lightning bolts - Maybe I need to change my breakfast cereal). In any case, although one antique store failed us - the other two were charming and revealed many great and delightful deals from their dusty depths.

Kerri and I have totally different antique likes and dislikes, which leads to the oft-repeated and humorous conversation...

Me - "Kerri - come look at this" (I hold up random Item of crockery) "This is totally you!"
Kerri - "Eh." (looks around) - "Now this is very you. (holds up item of costume jewelry)"
Me - "Eh"
Kerri – “But it’s shiny?”
Me – “I dunno, it’s just eh.” – “But this pot has a calendar on it.”
Kerri – “But it’s just, eh.”

This is the PERFECT way to antique shop. If we liked the same things, we would constantly fight over them - there would be accusations and hair pulling, it would not be good. Liking totally different things ensures that we never argue over a piece - and thus - calm general regard for the goodness of all things antique is retained.

It was a good day - and now I am utterly exhausted. Left home at 7:30, got back at 10:00. Need sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home