a pocket full of rhinestones

Thursday, March 18, 2004

Books Books Books - is anyone interested in the books I have bought over the last 2 weeks?

Probably not - but if your eyes are still following me here, you will probably be unable to look away. The glowing screen beckons to you. You are not interested and yet you hear the call of the cathode ray tube. Do not fight; you will succumb to its power.

Interestingly this is exactly the reason that shows like "Forever Eden" still survive.

Ok: the books.

Folkways by William Graham Sumner 1906. (Interestingly the day after I bought this book, my orals advisor recommended it for my list. Apparently I'm psychic this week)

The Best Supernatural Tales of Algernon Blackwood [1929] edited by Felix Morrow 1973. (It has a story called "The Occupant of the Room" which is skin-crawling-creepy. Very gothic book - bought it because I had never heard of him.)

The Essays of Robert Louis Stevenson edited by Malcolm Elwin 1950. (A reprint of one of my favorite writer's essays. Not only does it have fun pictures, but it has "A Plea for Gas Lamps" with the lines: "The word electricity now sounds the note of danger...a new sort of urban star now shines out nightly, horribly, unearthly, obnoxious to the human eye; a lamp for a nightmare! Such a light as this should shine only on murders and public crime or along the corridors of lunatic asylums, a horror to heighten horror" (Stevenson 162). Wow, let's hear it for gaslight folks - just looking at my incandescent bulbs now gives me a cold shudder... )

Twisted Tales by Christoper Ward 1924. (This seems to be some kind of book of parodies of famous texts. It even has a Sherlock Holmes-esque tale called "The Polonius Problem". What's not to like about that?)

And a final book that is a gift - so I can't tell you about it.

I am collecting far faster than I can read - and interestingly still procrastinating. 2 pages 1/2 done for my comic book - I need to work faster, but something is keeping me from my task. I secretly think that they're slipping crack into my tea at Julius Meinl... it calls to me like the sirens song - keeping me from my work and derailing all attempts at reasonable drawing.

I hear your call Himalayan Toffee... I am summoned to your presence and cannot resist...God help me.... The little mints! The little mints!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home