a pocket full of rhinestones

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Desert, Oasis, Industrial Complex - boy am I full of imagery tonight.

I don't know if it's just me, but blogging has been just totally unsatisfying for the past few weeks - probably due to the totally hectic and insanely overscheduled life that I am trying to lead at the moment.

Perhaps when it calms down I shall once again be my old semi-witty and vaguely odd self punctuated by moments of bitterness.

Perhaps it is the weather. I have noticed that a general cloud of misanthropy, grumpiness, bitterness, and general exhaustion has settled over the department in the last few weeks as if the unwelcome smog of a new industrial complex is upwind of us. What this industrial complex may be, I don't know - but I bet it has something to do with leftover anxiety of post-winter-quarter papers and the unholy cold snap that seems to have enveloped Chicago. I wake up in the morning to be greeted with a cold shoulder from Nature - after she had blown a kiss to me the night before. Truly this is the kind of hot / cold weather to unhinge the mind and make even the most cheerful long for silence, seclusion, brandy, and an electric blanket.

Ahhh spring.

In any case - I am meeting with one of my professors on what seems to be my home turf tomorrow (namely Evanston) in an oddly casual context to discuss the 20 min presentation that is consuming my life this week (Blithedale romance). How one can adequately historicize in a week is beyond my comprehension, but I will try. Other than that, it's working up orals lists (Gothic and 19th century), attempting to coerce one more person into being my orals advisor, rewriting a paper, and figuring out a paper topic. Any more scholarly bliss and I may just explode from utter enthusiasm [can you see me smiling so hard that it makes my teeth hurt?].

Socially, my week is looking like the wastes of the Sahara – there is an oasis of liquid refreshment in the distance, but it may just be a mirage (this is evenings, of course – during the day I generally meet someone for lunch) There is, however, the rumor of hanging out with Kerri this weekend – perhaps my weekend will be an oasis after all – perhaps there will be a charming cabana boy serving piña-coladas there - you never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home