a pocket full of rhinestones

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Scattershot posting.

After a small yet depressing season of mourning for my B+, I wrote a charming and totally professional letter to Prof. X, explaining my paper and asking for a rewrite.

Now all I have to do is situate my argument in the theoretical discourse such that it is shown to be an original and unusual take on a perfectly bizarre story.

Not a problem at all. Either that or explain again how what I am doing eschews a lot of the things that people are discussing concerning the "Artist of the Beautiful" (like Art and Beauty in the Kantian sense), and drawing the discussion into one of taste and highbrow / lowbrow interaction or lack thereof punctuated with moments of oddly transcendentalist leaning away from high intellectualism towards human connection (despite the ending of the story). Oh, and how this is translated into an analysis of Hawthorne's position within the culture of taste that makes all of these Kantian judgments about the work he is presenting. Bleah - not interesting - not even sane, but perhaps will raise that B+ to an A-.

In any case, the Easter/Birthday celebration went along just fine this weekend, and I am now the proud owner of a copy of Dante's Divine Comedy illustrated by Gustave Dore. Oh Baby! Additionally, I went antiquing all weekend, which contributed greatly to my sanity.

Despite my recent dip in mood, I am now running at 75% power and inching up on the speed where I can make the jump to hyperspace (I don't exactly know what this means, but I'm tired and have been doing nothing but cramming in about as much comic-book goodness as I can handle this weekend). Speaking of which - the comic book gets handed in tomorrow - wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home