a pocket full of rhinestones

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

My Day, A Lament, and A Question

So today was the party at Prof. X's house. Rather uninteresting - people talking past one another - an amazingly huge kitchen - general we're-not-in-class-anymore-but-this-is-odd awkwardness. I left by 9:20, and was completely eh about the entire experience. The only thing that was good about it was the pre-partying that occurred at Anne's where we had an amazing white wine and I got my birthday present (A really really cool mesh bag with a skeleton in Victorian-era garb on the outside - sort of a Dia De Los Muertos thing. Utterly amusing).

I picked up some more prints at my favorite Hyde Park bookstore this afternoon (the aforementioned clergyman, a man with a bird, and two amazing color prints from a botany book). More importantly, however, I met Kerri's charming (if slightly timid) cat Sophie - who is, I think, quite cute (despite her ducking and weaving, random sorties out from behind the couch, attempts to flee my every approach and general catness that made her damn near invisible for my entire visit). Let's here it for cool cats, and funky 40's clothing (note to Kerri: the red coat with the fur collar is really cool).

And I have a tiny lament and a tiny comment to post here.

Lament first -

Why is it that I cannot find a grocery store that sells those little non-dairy creamers that you find at restaurants? They are the perfect size for pretty much any non-dairy creamer need, they never go bad (being, I think, made entirely of plastic or soy or something), and they can be stacked into aesthetically pleasing pyramid shapes while talking on the phone. These are so integral to my drinking repertoire (tea, coffee, and liquor) that I just don't know what to do without them. Yet, despite my best efforts they continue to elude me. Perhaps I'll create a Creamer-Retrevial-Emergency-Airlift-Manouver for some squad of ninjas. They will be dressed entirely in tones that match the dairy food aisle for ease of camouflage.

Perhaps not.

Now my little comment.

I have noticed something and feel that I should put it forth for comments and / or rebuttal. Don't you find that the most interesting things in life are those that aren't planned? That is, aren't the coolest things that happen to you, the things that really stick with you, and the things that you look back on and say "fuck, that was awesome" also the things that are totally spontaneous (and generally when you look back on them probably a stupid idea)? I have this theory about these things and am interested to know what others think. Personally, I'm looking back on my life (this week has been one of massive personal/social upheaval and thus promotes reflection) and I have come to the conclusion that the best (and probably some of the worst) things that have ever happened to me were totally spontaneous, utterly random, and against my common sense.

For example: Deciding to smoke a cigar while drinking, dangling your feet (or trying to keep others from dangling their feet) in lake Medota while drunk [pure gold], spontaneous houseguests / sleepovers, driving down strange streets on a whim only to find a totally cool shop I love, dating, sex (the fun kind), dancing like an idiot to music and making a fool of oneself, etc... The list really could go on and on.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home