a pocket full of rhinestones

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Teeny Tiny Little Party.

You see, my culinary adventure got entirely out of hand - and I had all this food left over, and my apartment was so empty of people that I could yell "echo" and receive merely a sigh back from my bored walls - so I had a party last night.

The charming Salinda and her beautiful daughter came over and we had tacos with guacamole, salsa, cheese, sour cream, etc. and they brought magnificent donuts. We tried on all my costume jewelry, took pictures of one anther dressed up like wealthy heiresses, went for a walk / carry all over Northwestern campus, chatted, and had a lovely time.

These are the moments that make you think - oh yeah, that's why I'm in grad school: to meet cool people like this. Oh yeah, and study - almost forgot studying. Clearly that is important too.

I was looking through the U Penn "calls for papers" board yesterday - thinking seriously to myself that I was pissed that the deadlines had passed. A moment of my scholar-ness flashed upon me

"you're what?! You want to go and present papers?! Are you insane?!"

my inner-scholar replied with a polite shrug "You'll have to do it sometime. These look really interesting. Don't you know that the department will pay to send you out there?"

In a panic, I pull up all of the old high-school-fear-of-presentations-jazz "all those people, all those professors - and you're ideas?! They suck! you're not even published! clearly you have nothing to say to these people that they don't already know!"

my inner scholar won with a slight shrug, a brief dissertation on the need for me to put myself out there in academia, and an indication that if she likes the papers maybe someone else will.

I think that this means something regarding my academic life... I don't know what it is, but... it must be something.

On a side note - although this post is getting rather long... I had a dream last night that there was a thumb growing out of a rib on the left side of my chest, right next to my breast, and that NOONE CARED and I hadn't even noticed until that day (although apparently it had been there for years). This has got to be a rather odd dream, and as wish-fulfillments go, it's not making a lot of sense, so if anyone has a possible explanation I would be more than happy to accept your ideas.

There we go - that's the past two days summed up in their ridiculosity.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home