a pocket full of rhinestones

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Tower of Power

You know, I do have to say that the 2 story grad. student lounge is one of the coolest things on campus. In addition to its highly outdated furniture (just old enough to be comfy), its suicide-proof windows, and the fact that it can only be found by someone who already knows where it is, this Isla de la Muerta lounge gets wireless. With the addition of a vending machine, I would never have to leave - next project? Roof access.

Anyway... So today started out kinda poorly but has been getting er... better.


And since I'm feeling very very self-centered right now I'll tell you why.

This began last night with the narcoleptic boy and Grand Theft Auto. I was attempting to explain to him the intricate movements I have found which allow me to gain virtually infinite cash (and a Sub-machine gun) while simultaneously boosting my reputation and avoiding the PoPo Bitches. I, intent on watching the screen, kept giving helpful comments like "What the hell?!" "no, right, RIGHT", "No don't blow up the car", and "why are you running in circles?" At this point I turned around to find that my charming boy had fallen asleep with his hands on the controller in such a way that his character was spinning in circles.

Gently removing (with mild resistance, he is a gamer, after all) the controller from his hands, I covered him up with a blanket, put a teddy bear on his chest, took off his glasses, and let him go to sleep. I did the same.

This morning - 6:30am

"Katie, I'm late for work"
"mmmfff?"
"work - I need a ride"
"what? why?"
"I didn't set my alarm last night -- I need to be at the hospital by 7"

ah. so much for being a sweet girlfriend. So I pull on my jeans and we head out of the house by 6:45.

7:08 we pull up outside UIC hospital and he jumps out.
7:20 stuck in traffic on lakeshore
7:30 IBID
7:45 IBID (Becoming enraged as I remember that I agreed to give Al and Ivan a ride to HP.

7:48 Park in the alley (half of which is roped off with 'caution' tape?!) throwing fears aside, I stride into my apartment just in time to get a phone call from Al asking If I'm ready

"sure, come right down" as I hastily cram objects into my bag

papers, check
er.. laptop, check

Al arrives and keeps up a helpful stream of commentary

"essentials, Katie, essentials - do you have your work?"
"yes"
"pants?"
looking down "yes"
"books?"
"yes"
"breath mints?"
"breath mints?"
"aren't they essential?"
"are they?" (I spontaneously reconsider my dental routine and have a paranoid moment of fear that people think I smell)

Paranoia mildly resolved we all leap into the car and I execute a Y turn in the alley, heading us towards the light at the end and hitting the speed humps with uncomfortable speed.

This is because a garbage truck is backing into the one free end of the alley.

I lay on the horn. They keep backing up. Ivan offers to leap from the car, and later, to slash tires.

I lay on the horn again, finally moving the sluggish steel beetle.

We blow kisses to them as we shoot out of the alley (apparently confusing / terrifying a friend of Al's)

Then traffic again

8:00
8:30 we arrive HP, dropping Ivan at the Ace and snagging a goddamn delicious croissant at the boujour.

9:21 am. I wander into the Insurance office and am told that they don't need the Walgreens register reciept for the pills, but the paper attached to the pills themselves.

9:27 I contemplate murder.

9:45 Desk copies of books

10:08 Blogging.

At 1:30 I need to teach a class of 21 students. I have not showered, and have eaten sugar for breakfast. This is being washed down with Mt. Dew. I just found out that the theme for this quarter's class is alienation.

huh. funny old world, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home