a pocket full of rhinestones

Friday, April 16, 2004

Holy shit is this getting out of hand

I have in my apartment as of this moment… hold on a sec...24 books and/or articles on folklore, superstitions, fairies, brownies, ghosts, witches, devils, and goblins.. oh, and Hawthorne. This is totally out of hand. One of which is in FRENCH! I'm starting to look like one of those hunchback old ladies that can carry 8 times their body weight in sticks on their backs.

All of this to work out a 10-page conference paper (soon to be seminar paper) for my class on Tuesday. Now I know that I'm overdoing it, and that I can't possibly use all of these references, and that my argument is way way way too complex to be presented in a 20 min format, but yet - somehow - this doesn't stop me from wandering into the library and squealing with glee when I encounter yet another copy of "The Fairie Mythology".

I think this has something to do with spring. Since it has gotten warmer I have this unlimited energy, which has in a very silly way been funneled into writing this paper (over which I am causing myself far too much anxiety). I think the only remedy for this is to kick back, watch some TV, perhaps go thrift shopping, print out and cross off huge sections of my paper, and generally sink to the level of the lowest common denominator.

I listened to Louie Armstrong singing "Mack The Knife" all the way home from Hyde Park today - windows open, hair flying, fingers snapping, sunglasses on, singing along, other drivers staring - Now I KNOW it's spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home