a pocket full of rhinestones

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

So all y'all who keep saying that you want to come thrift shopping with me....

My god.




I have been to heaven.




And it is covered in rhinestones: blue, pink, red, green, Lisner, Hobe, Coro, goldtone, necklaces, bracelets, rings, earrings

It was so beautiful I almost had to look away. Almost.

Come with me and we shall see the promise land together. For it is a little shop on Touhy and N. Harlem called "The Antique and Resale Shoppe".

So I made a trek today - thinking hell, their business card has a big shiny set of lips on it; it might be worth a try. I walked in the door, gaped, and nearly fell to my knees in prayer to whatever deity led me here. EVERY INCH of furniture was COVERED in costume jewelry. Every drawer was full of pins and bracelets and buckles and lighters and charms and lingerie and shot glasses and vintage clothing and hats and... the list goes on and on. Spangly things, sparkly things, beaded things, ugly things, things for hats, things for wearing, things for hiding in your closet.

I have this fantasy that they would let me stay there – just dressing up in costume jewelry and dancing to the 50’s music that plays from their vintage radio. Perhaps they would find me one day curled up amongst the feathered hats, bespangled with rhinestones and wearing a boa, sleeping blissfully like a contented cat. It would be a silly life, but I would be happy.

Incredible. Just Incredible. Seriously. They have more jewelry than I do.

All you people that keep saying that you want to go antique and thrift shopping: Come with me - For I have wondrous things to show you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home