a pocket full of rhinestones

Monday, July 26, 2004

Massive Update

That's right. I have to stop being lazy about this updating thing. People have started to wonder if I'm alive. This is not good.

So let's work backwards, shall we?

Today - First day of German for Research Purposes - the class that I am taking solely to fill my language requirement. It was surprisingly good and a stunning number of people that I know are soberly nodding their heads and repeating umlauts with me in the class: Jett, Mollie, Kerri, Karin, Amber, and Vaughn - just to name a few. Looks like good way to get rid of a language requirement and a barrel full of conjugation at the moment (looks can be deceiving - see previous happy hopes for my Space, Place, Landscape class). Met with Kerri and Jett this morning for breakfast at Einstein and attempted to buy course books (haha - as if they are EVER in on time - who am I kidding? This is the U of C). Slightly disturbed by the fact that our prof was not disturbed by the fact that there are no books ordered for our 5 week long course. huh.

Yesterday - Morrowinding with the boyfriend in the morning as well as working up his CV (mostly by pretending that we could remember important things like awards and dates and employment) - drove him back to Racine, visited briefly with mom, and then took off back to Chicago for dinner with Ben - at which we inhabited a charming Mexican cafe (that really, I have to say, was good but overpriced), and were served our food alarmingly quickly. Really. We ordered and POOF it was at the table, in the kind of eerie way that makes you think "did they just microwave this?" "did they give us someone else's order?" "is this meat cooked?" Perhaps I am the only one with this kind of paranoia, but Ben and I agreed that few other people are going to order chicken tacos with no cheese so it was probably our order. In any case - very entertaing. He then politely sat through my endless explanation of the mechanics of Morrowind and the different virtues of the White Wolf Mage: The Ascension 2nd vs. 3rd ed. system. He is really too kind - but I had a lot of fun.

Saturday - Morrowind - all freaking day - like, 16 hours - and pizza, lots of pizza. Oh, and the construction of a crown / tiara inspired by Arwen's crown in LOTR III out of sheet aluminum. Blisters.

Friday - Started out so normal - I was going to just sit in my apartment until the boyfriend showed, but then I called Salina and said - do you want to go to Wisconsin?  (Background - she has ALWAYS wanted to go to Wisconsin - I don't know why, but there you go) This led to a fun-filled romp through the countryside of WI, stopping at the Mars Cheese Castle, collecting beach glass, drinking the best root beer on the face of the planet at Pinocchios, experiencing corn dogs, collecting flowers in my backyard, Anais yelling YAYAYAYAYAYA as she ran down the beach through puddles of water, and dinner at Chili’s with the boyfriend (who we picked up on the way back to Chicago). This day was an incredible amount of fun. Seriously fun. I really got to see Wisconsin in a totally new way by looking at it through the eyes of a city girl. It actually made me appreciate the wild strawberries in my backyard. Good day - totally awesome day. And then the boyfriend and I went down to a birthday party for Heidi (from Northwestern) on Bryn Mawr. Really full day.

Thursday - Dinner. Oh dinner. For some reason Noelle and I decided that it would be a good thing for us to have dinner (and really - it is a good thing). And I invited Kerri - who was happy to come. And then Karin ended up being free, so I suggested that she join us. And while attempting to arrange all of this, we ran into Michelle in the library and coerced her to come too. Suddenly 5 girls are at Pizza Capri: gabbing, eating (oh the bread and the olive oil - I can still hardly move), gossiping, and having a blast. It was a really cool evening of good food and great company followed by a silent film "IT" at the DOC that (although I attended with trepidation) turned out to be surprisingly funny. In all a charming evening with charming people which must be repeated often.

er --- I don't really remember what happened before that - the sheer hectic fun-ness of this past weekend has made everything rather muzzy and blurry in my head.

But now things will be back to as normal as they get - punctuated by moments of sheer Germanic Terror.

And Becky - I miss you terribly, and I have left you a message - do call back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home