a pocket full of rhinestones

Monday, July 19, 2004

Oh yes I have been so lax about posting... Hummm I can change fonts and colors now - interesting.

I know, I know - but my life has been ultra-hectic recently.
 
For example - the previous week was spent in Madison working on orals and hanging out with my boyfriend.
 
Friday I picked up my sister and we made a late night drive back to Evanston and crashed at my place upon arrival here at 2am.
 
Saturday morning up at 6am to get to a FANTASTIC estate sale in HP by 8am where we hooked up with the ever-charming Kerri.
 
- I bought a pink chiffon beaded dress that makes me look like a fairy princess - really - it is just the most charming thing ever. I understand that I have purchased an entirely useless object, as I will never have anywhere to wear it (and even if I did, the proposition of being surrounded by 15 yards of pink tulle would probably make me opt for the little black dress instead - and - people would laugh at me) however, it had to be bought. I believe that somewhere inside of me is a Barbie-loving 6 year old that really really wants to be a fairy princess, and dammit, if I have to buy the cast-off clothing of the recently deceased elderly to make that happen - well - there you go.
 
- I also spent way too much money on a charming art nouveau statuette holding a mirror. She was, however, painted a really hideous shade of green - so I've spent the last day and a half gold-leafing her. I know you're all rolling your eyes right now "gold leaf?! How TACKY!" but she looks stunning - just wait and see for yourself.
 
Then we took off for a day of thrifting at the Salvation Army, the tiny store at Harlem and Touhy, The Junior League, Viva Vintage, and um... other places that I can't recall at the moment.
 
The hightlight of the afternoon was a jaunt to Chinatown where we stuffed ourselves with dim sum (to the general delight of all) and then raided the grocery for dried fruit and chocolate covered sunflower seeds (extra tasty crispy).
 
Then: The Container Store, Cost Plus World Market, and Loehmans. After which, Molly and I retired to my apartment for pizza and wine, passing into blissful unconsciousness at around 2am.  
let's just say that it was 15 hours of solid fun punctuated by moments of culinary bliss. Days really don't get more perfect than this. We laughed, we smirked, we got incredible deals, we even ate white rabbits. Ahhhhh Perfection.
 
Sunday Molly and I went for tea, cheese and dessert at my favorite teahouse, did a small photo-safari of the cemetery on Sheridan (amazing 19th century funerary architecture), went to a bead store, and generally wandered around the city until I dropped her on the train for Madison (yay Molly on your first train ride!) .
 
Today - Back in HP, working on orals, department meetings, lunch with Richard, dinner / picnic with Salinda & Co. and playing in the park until late in the evening topped off with hunting for fireflies, running through a garden maze and eating crab rangoons.
 
So - I am back in Evanston for awhile, and attempting to recuperate from nonstop travel for the past month or so. Laundry must be done, finances must be attended to, websites must be designed, things must be neatly bound, books to read, lists to write, etc. etc. etc.

 
Damn fine week, though. Damn fine week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home