a pocket full of rhinestones

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Homeyrotics

another word coined at the pub. If we could only get money for these....

I would just like to point out that the people in our department are very cool. And smart, very smart. I always feel like I am sitting in on some really fascinating cocktail party in Paris with a whole bunch of too-cool-to-be-Postmodern-kitsch people chatting about their relative likes and dislikes of obscure beers. (Upon further reflection, I mean this to say that most of the people in the department have the effortless intelligence of the really hip without the pretentiousness of the desperately-wanting-to-be-hip nonhip people; not that we are pathetic geeks who can talk of nothing but our alcoholism and spout terms like “aporia” “alterity” “subaltern” and “instantiation”). Pub night is a fascinating example of this. For example, I can pound on the table and say "Dick is good!" and people simply smile and are totally laid back (in their semi-tipsy U of C way) and say "well, of course it's good - it's powerful, it's primal, it’s phallic, it has commodity value... etc.." I mean really, these are cool people.

That said, I just finished a car ride of some 40 min with a student from Northwestern where I detailed for her why people from the U of C are so bitter. Apparently our reputation as a bitter department is well earned.

The contradiction between cool people and general bitterness is making my head hurt, so I think I will go and instantiate my subjectivity in the form of cleaning my bathroom so that I can present to others the "self" I wish to portray (that of a clean, hip, grad student instead of a slovenly geek).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home