a pocket full of rhinestones

Sunday, August 01, 2004

Ok - so I'm not liking the German.

And I'm having a really really hard time separating it from the half-understood French that floats randomly through the hallways of my mind like a restless spirit of the Class That Once Was. Thus - conjugation of verbs is giving me a headache and I now know more about Bertholt Brecht than I ever wanted to know. Seriously - I give less than half a shit.

But that is today and today was a study day - so it is totally understandable that I would be pissy after 6 hours of translation (ahhh procrastination).

Thus, in an effort to further procrastinate and make myself happy, I will relate to you the daring exploits of my weekend, punctuated by random declarative statements like: cops on horses are cool.

I found this out when I was attempting to drive down lakeshore last night to pick up Becky for dinner. There were thousands of people milling about on the lakefront, walking in front of my car, sitting on the grass, talking, being stupid, and generally waiting around for the 20 min colored combustion of chemicals that tops off the lame-ass-night-of-Christmas-tree-light-festooned-watercraft. Yay. But the cops on horses were really cool. They had the Mountie hats and everything. I can't imagine having a horse well trained enough to trot through traffic on Lakeshore without getting flustered, so in my estimation, clearly this displays an incredible amount of mastery in the riding department coupled with some kickass horse-training. I would really like to see a horse / car chase down Lakeshore. That would be cool.

In any case. I dropped Kerri off in the loop while I was there (we spent the afternoon in Evanston - more on this later) and picked up Becky for the ride to Chinatown. Her cousin lives in the south loop area on the 15th floor of an awesome highrise apartment. Suddenly, standing in front of the huge picture windows overlooking the lake / downtown / south loop area I realized that Chicago is quite a pretty city. So this is how the other-half lives. It makes you think that getting that business degree might not have been such a bad idea after all.... they have a suede couch – a SUEDE couch. Maybe I can rent out their closet for next year.

In any case, Becky and I trotted over to the Dim Sum and Dumpling house under the Pheonix, and it was delicious (Jett & Kerri & Molly & Becky we have to check this place out again - you can just order whatever you want instead of waiting for the carts - oh delicious - and, I think, cheaper). In any case - deliciousness was sure to follow and indeed it did.

My afternoon that day was spent with Kerri, who convinced me to try this little Greek place off of Chicago in Evanston. I simply can't blame her for the events that followed, and as I have all too many times dragged her into a freaky little thrift store covered with a fine covering of urk, I have to say that this was just unlucky on her part (as it usually is on mine).

So we go in and the food is ok, and we're thinking about how ok the food is and then the manager's daughter wanders up. Boy oh boy is she a bitch. I mean a surly, cussing, unpleasant, bossy, arrogant little pisser that I really wanted to smack. It was seriously distracting from our meal. She had sweat pants with “Ambercrombie” written across the ass. She was wearing way too much makeup. She constantly harassed the men working the grill. This girl went so far as to make me apprehensive through my entire meal - all while pretending (with a surly half-smirk) to be nice to the customers. I’m seriously thinking of writing a letter. Our waitress even went so far as to apologize for this girl’s behavior. Damn. Learn some manners, girl!

So lunch lacked a certain charm, but hanging out in all of the cool stores on Central had a calming effect and soon we were laughing again - most notably at the orphaned kittens in the garden store that are really really making me want to adopt a pet right now.

they were gray with pink noses.

Really cute

did I mention cute?

The rest of the weekend was spent doing other random things of the same variety - essentially keeping me out of my apartment for most of the time. I have suddenly become some kind of exotic social butterfly (totally new experience for me), as well as super-involved in the department (also strange). This combined with my current project of a crown made entirely from aluminum and brass tubing and binding a bunch of business cards together has conspired to make my days both eventful and really odd. Last night after I dropped off Becky, I watched Daredevil and Tomb Raider while sawing tiny wings out of metal. From Greek to paper to Dim Sum to metal wings to Superheroes all in one day - that's strange, folks - really strange.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home