a pocket full of rhinestones

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Ahhhhh.

The calm after the storm - that quiet non-noise you get right after a snowfall - the sound of nighttime out in the country - the moment where all I can hear is random street noise and the gentle hum of my computer. 2 consecutive houseguests in the past 3 days (after 4 solid weekends of guests) and now no one here but me. This isn't to say that I don't love Becky or my boyfriend - but there is something delicious in the idea of sitting around in my jammies, reading Terry Prachett, and eating sugar-free jello pudding directly from the bowl.

Today - woke up to the amusing sound of my Boyfriend quietly playing Morrowind with all of the sound off except (for some reason) the sound that it makes when someone hits you. Thus woke up to "clang" "Argggggg" "clang" "swish". This messed up my dreams for a time as I thought I was being attacked by a cliff racer and was wondering where I put my cuirass. Later in the morning we met up with Kerri and wandered over to the Wilmette heritage antique mall garage sale - which was neither really in a garage nor much of a sale. I did, however, get some lovely drinking accoutrements that will add to my now ever-growing collection of cocktail mixers and stir sticks (why am I currently collecting these? could I possibly explain?). At least I'm starting to collect smaller and smaller things. First it was furniture (for which I don't have room any longer) then wine glasses (until I had no more space) then books (well - still books, but they make nice tables) then jewelry (much smaller) and now tiny sticks of glass (at least they're not hummels). We also went down to Tiffin (that's 2 times in 3 days for me) - as always, it was excellent.

Upon returning to my apartment and putting Kerri back on the train to HP, I get a call from Allyson who wants to hang out. I had my heart set on a nap, but I have been neglecting her lately, and she has never met my boyfriend, so she and he and Ivan and I all went to this really cute little cafe in Rogers Park the name of which I cannot remember. The food was great, the conversation was (as always) amusing, but the service was horrific - at one point we were so desperate for a refill on water that we were seriously contemplating tripping our waiter and a nice old man at the table next to us offered us his water. This is unacceptable, folks - the service somewhere should never be so bad that I even think about letting old men with walkers sitting alone offer me their water. I politely declined but wow.

Alas - I just sent my boyfriend back on the long road to Madison and am currently missing him very much and thinking about how quiet my apartment has become.

Don't worry if I disappear for the next few days - I'm feeling some of Jett's "inclined towards home-ness" and a desperate need to do laundry and wash dishes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home