a pocket full of rhinestones

Friday, September 24, 2004

Uh... hold on a moment - I have something offensive to say.

I hate to say this, because really I don't ever want to interfere with people's reproductive rights, but I know someone who may be pregnant and who really really really should not be having another kid.

I mean, she doesn't even take care of the one that she has. I mean that he is already so far behind academically that he will be behind for the rest of his life. I mean that he is going to turn out as a hellion for the utter lack of discipline enforced upon him. I mean that he lives in fetid horror.

And now - another child.

I'm suddenly thrust into the middle of a moral dilemma. Is it right to say that people like that should not be allowed to have more children? My better half suggests that this is insane, and that I am in no position to judge (nor is anyone else for that matter) on the fitness of someone for parenting and their reproductive rights. But then again, if you saw this child - if you saw how he is suffering even though he doesn't have a clue as to what is going on - if you saw his life stretched out in front of him and it isn't a pretty prospect - If you saw how he is 5 and doesn't know his own full name - how does the practical connect with the ideological?

She is, of course, extremely excited about the idea of getting / being pregnant. Perhaps she should stick to cats instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home