a pocket full of rhinestones

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Murmurs of mutiny.

So I went to the teaching workshop today.

"Ah yes," you say, nodding your head encouragingly, "is that a pencil I see sticking out of your eyeball?"

"Yes, yes it is." With my good eye I stare into space blankly... my lips mouthing sentences on leading a good discussion without a sound.

"And the pencil?" you again, intrigued at the fact that my mental numbness has actually deadened the pain receptors in my eye.

"That was hour 6" I shudder "we started our third discussion on discussions"

you nod sympathetically and helpfully add "at least it's over"

"Not... yet..... tomorrow too! ARRRRGH!" I pull the pencil from my eye and plunge it into my neck - forever freeing myself from my duty to attend the second section.

Ok. It wasn't that bad. But after our third vague discussion on leading discussion in which we were told "X is essential to running a good discussion, and none of you know how to do X, but X is different for each department / class / professor / moon of Saturn so we can't discuss any particular strategies for accomplishing X but simply leave you with the vague terror that without X your discussions will be simply incomplete" I really was starting to feel the butt-numbing pain that only 8 solid hours of lecture punctuated by 15 minute breaks can bring.

Oh man. At least they fed us. And there was coffee. And some of the speakers were really good. In fact, all of the speakers were good, it was just that we were sitting and sweating in a kiln with either too much or too little time to address the issues at hand.
Bleah. More tomorrow if I survive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home