a pocket full of rhinestones

Monday, September 06, 2004

Do you want to know how unreasonably strange I am?

This is how unreasonably strange I am.

I got up this morning thinking about essential oils (no biggie, right). And thinking of flavoring my own shampoos myself instead of paying $10 to have it done for me (totally sane). And then I thought about buying essential oils online and spent 3 hours learning about the differences between essential, flavor, cosmetic, fragrance, and non-cosmetic oils (getting stranger). These still seemed expensive, so I spent another 2 hours learning the theory behind the creation of essential oils: direct steam, steam, boiling, oil saturation, etc. (starting to become odd). And then I was thinking "that doesn't look too difficult, but I don't have all the stuff here" - so I went online to American Science and Surplus to find the glassware I would need and worked up a rough sketch of the burner - flask-tubing-condensor-titrating funnel with stopcock-arrangement that I would need and figured out the pirces so that the next time I'm up in Milwaukee I can stop by and pick up the stuff (beyond odd). And then, after all that, I started working up alternate glassware configurations that would be equally effective but less expensive.

And then I thought - And how do you work sugared substances such as honey or coconut? And how do you clean the excess oils from the condensor? Jojoba? Almond oil? And isn't that a little - er - oily? I mean you want the oils, but not the oily residue so there has to be a very high concentration of fragrance to each drop of oil so perhaps I could find an alcohol or ether base to rinse the flask with and really when you come to think of it, wouldn't it be easier to use an alcohol or ether soak for the extracting process and then drive off the excess alcohol but then that is a fire hazard not to mention a health hazard and the chances of it substantially changing the flavor of the oil are such that one should prefer the steam method...I'm going to need a lilac plant. And a peppermint plant. I wonder what kind of sunlight a peppermint plant needs and if it grows really large and smells like the dickens like the mint plants in my backyard and I know I can get lilacs from my mother's garden but I'll have to wait for those and maybe rose would be a good scent. Perhaps I could just grow a peppermint plant so that I can simply boil the leaves in a pot whenever I want the pepperminty flavor and then again I have a mortar and pestle (courtesy of Kerri) so I could totally just crush some peppermint and add that to my shampoo but that might shorten its shelf life but the shelf life of shampoo is pretty short in my apartment anyways (which reminds me that I have too much hair and need to get it cut soon) but then again I want it flavored like coconut...

I got up this morning...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home