a pocket full of rhinestones

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Where oh where has that little girl gone?

So I constructed a huge update entry that was essentially what had been going on with me for the past week or so - and blogger decided to delete it. So now, sans post, I have to either reconstruct with less enthusiasm or come to terms with the fact that most of you don't really want to know about my day-to-day activities and would much rather hear about my amusing Barnes & Noble story.

If anyone really wants to know about my romps across the midwest, a (good) explanation for my bruises, how the boyfriend's cousin's wedding went (eep), wants to know how Kevin, Lee, and I proposed to beat someone senseless with a mickey mouse poncho, a vase, and a collection of pickle forks, or has a deep interest in what I bought while thrifting - just let me know.

In any case-- last night, Becky and I were in Racine hanging out (I had run up for the stupid-little-easy-to-forge-dumbass-Social-Security-card that says "KT is a US citizen" so that I can work (as if the university didn't already have this information?). So while in Racine I thought I would hang out with the ever-cool Becky at (no kidding) "Jose's Blue Sombrero" which has amazing nachos. Post this we went over to Goodwill for some quality thrifting and then ended up at the B&N.

After aquiring frappuchinos and finding a table in the back of the store at which we could sit and chat, we commenced our in-depth conversation on the intrigues of her coven. And suddenly, like, out of the blue this kid walks up to the table with his two buddies (very young - I'm thinking 16) - the transcript I will detail for you with my thoughts attached:

"Wow, There's, like, a table here now? There was only, like, a chair here before right in front of this pillar - this is like - so cool!"

My thought: eh? Is this his pickup line? Becky is giving him a bewildered stare that falls on the border between amused and annoyed. He continues, oblivious.

"Have you guys read the hip-hop dictionary? It's really cool" (pause for a moment while he trots over to grab said dictionary) "it has, like, a million slang words for everything. I didn't know half of them - I go to a rich white kid school where all the kids want to be black and they use slang like this but they don't even know what it means - hey look they have *looks at friends* like a million words for pot..."

He proceeds to stand there in front of our table and read all of the words for pot to us from the dictionary (which, I might add, is not very complete). Becky and I are staring at one another, his friends are shuffling their feet and looking confused - one of them has braces. The boy who is talking keeps smiling at us in a very disturbing way - 16, no wait... maybe 15. How old does he think we are?

looking at friends "what was that other word that we were looking up?" *silence* "I'll find it myself... it was like..."

I helpfully add "Bitch? Fitty?"

He looks them up with little success.

I ask - for my own amusement "which white kid school?"

he replies "St. Catherines high school, where do you go?"
Me - "the University of Chicago"
Him: "oh, at Loyola?"
Me - "No. The Unversity of Chicago" (rrrrrr)

This continues for 5 minutes while Becky and I stare at him. He has now consumed at least 10 minutes worth of time pontificating (book in hand) at rapid speed. His friends bodies have disappeared behind the bookshelf, but their heads are still peeking out, watching the insane boy.

Finally they scatter. Becky looks at me and says "what the hell?"
me: "were they seriously trying to pick us up?"
Beck: "Yeah. How old do you think he was?"
me: "16 - damn - neither of us looks less than 25"
Beck: "If he comes back, I'll ask him to go out to the bars with us."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home